Monday, February 24, 2014

Try the Einstein Puzzle

,
I love logic puzzles. They are fantastic for practice with deductive reasoning, but to be honest I was never very efficient with the way that I solved them. So when I recently heard about the "Einstein Puzzle", I decided I would try my luck at making an organized method for solving them. But before I get into that, I thought I would give you a chance to solve it for yourself.

Supposedly, the rumor goes that when Einstein created the problem, he believed that only 2% of the population would be capable of solving it. And while the validity of that statement is dubious at best, it is a puzzle that can cause issues if you aren't careful.

The Einstein Problem is just a simple logic puzzle. There are five people of different nationalities, who all love a specific drink, smoke, pet, and house color. No two people in this group of five have the same drink, smoke, pet, or house color. 


Here are the clues:
  1. The Brit lives in the red house
  2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets
  3. The Dane drinks tea
  4. The green house is on the immediate left of the white house as you stare at the front of the 5 houses
  5. The green house owner drinks coffee
  6. The person who smokes Pall Mall raises birds
  7. The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill
  8. The man who lives in the house in the center drinks milk
  9. The Norwegian lives in the first house
  10. The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats
  11. The man who keeps horses lives next to the one who smokes Dunhill
  12. The owner who smokes Bluemaster drinks juice
  13. The German smokes Prince
  14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house
  15. The man who smokes Blend has a neighbor who drinks water

The main question is: Who owns the fish?
----------------------------------------
If you want to double check your answer without it being spoiled, try the spoiler-free answer checker

That's all it is. Try your luck, if you get stuck or just want to see the method I used to solve it. Click here for the walkthrough.

I believe you can find the original source here.

0 comments to “Try the Einstein Puzzle”

Post a Comment